Atari + APE + Libretto = "Beautiful Music"
Larry
2005-07-28 03:43:09 UTC
There have been several threads in csa8 about using a single board
computer as a dedicated APE/SIO2PC "server." Although there are lots
of possible hardware systems for doing that, I've found a very useful
and economical machine -- namely the Toshiba Libretto. There is a lot
of information on the web about the U.S. Libretto 50/70/100/110 series.

The Libretto is a "palm top" computer that is about the size of a VCR
tape. (Talk about compact!) A "stock" model 50CT uses an original
Pentium processor running at 75 MHz. Since the 50CT is the oldest
US-released Libretto, it is also the least expensive, but it runs APE
for Windows 95/98 flawlessly under W95 SR2 in 16 MB. I am using a very
early (registered) version of Win-APE, V1.1.0 with a 1-chip Max232-type
interface. 3X transfers are no problem, and printing also works great.
A "true" 14C89 interface also works well. Some of the APE "Options"
boxes are slightly wider than the nominal 640 X 480 display, but the
L50 has larger virtual displays, and nothing "crashes" when the box
overhangs the display -- just "grab" and "slide" it. The main APE
display fits nicely. Newer versions of the Libretto (100CT and 110CT)
have a wider 800 X 480 display.

There have been a couple of mentions in csa8 about trying to use the
Atari Portfolio with APE/SIO2PC for Dos. I started looking at this
APE-server project when I ran across a Poqet computer on eBay; then
found another MS-DOS candidate in the HP LX "palm-top" series. But the
Libretto is a true Win Machine (also prized by Linux users), with a TFT
color VGA display, and Pentium power. Easily runs W95 and also W98 SE
(in 32 MB).

Since I got mine, I've moved many ATR's to it and used it quite a bit.
And If anyone is interested in the L., I'll be happy to share what I've
learned.
-Larry
Greg Goodwin
2005-08-03 04:44:06 UTC
FamilyNet Newsgate

Nice thing is about IBM palm tops is that there are a lot of them.

The one I found myself using was a Digital HiNote. Now that is not as
small, but small non-the-less. ;) And this one was dos based.

Doc Clu
Post by Larry
[...]
FamilyNet <> Internet Gated Mail
http://www.fmlynet.org
Larry
2005-07-29 11:54:29 UTC
Greg Goodwin
2005-08-05 07:29:56 UTC
FamilyNet Newsgate
Post by Larry
Post by Greg Goodwin
FamilyNet Newsgate
Nice thing is about IBM palm tops is that there are a lot of them.
The one I found myself using was a Digital HiNote. Now that is not as
small, but small non-the-less. ;) And this one was dos based.
Doc Clu
Hi Greg-
Which model HiNote? Presume this is the Compaq HiNote series?
Incidently, another petite sub-notebook that I considered was the
Compaq Aero, but evidently Compaq quit that series after releasing the
486-33 model.
-Larry
Mine is a Digital HiNote Ultra CT450. Runs at 75 mhz. The batteries are
expensive as hell to get, but I just leave the laptop plugged up, and simply
put it to sleep by closing the screen when not using it.

As for the Aero... played with those. They have to be the most confused
computers... too big to be a palm top, too small to be a laptop. :D

They are quite small in other words. Never could get it work right, but
then the poor Aero I had was through a lot previuosly. They have the
coolest floppy drives that plug into their PCMCIA port... loved the design,
never could get that to work either. But the drive is somewhere around here
still just because of how cool it was. :)

Doc Clu 800

FamilyNet <> Internet Gated Mail
http://www.fmlynet.org
You
2005-07-30 19:43:19 UTC
Doc:

non-the-less? This is the second post you've made where you've said,
"non-the less". I don't mean to knock consistency, but are we establishing
a trend?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.8bit
http://www.fmlynet.org
Bill Garber
2005-07-30 22:04:36 UTC
Post by You
non-the-less? This is the second post you've made where you've said,
"non-the less". I don't mean to knock consistency, but are we establishing
a trend?
At least offer a correction with your criticism. It isn't a phrase, but a
single word.
"Nonetheless" is a word meaning, "nothing taken away". I have noticed some
small
errors in term usage in your posts as well, not to mention your
"top-posting". :o)

Bill Garber
You
2005-07-31 02:05:46 UTC
Sorry, Bill and Greg, I guess I should have used a smiley in that message.
It wasn't my intent to point out the error in spelling, just the redundant
usage. It was meant to be a joke, something along the lines of: Today's
messages brought to you by the word 'non-the-less'.

Although, in my defense, you will probably note from my various posts that
I'm not yet up to speed on ascii smiley usage. I'm getting there though.
:-)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.8bit
Bill Garber
Bill Garber
2005-07-31 18:12:49 UTC
Post by You
Sorry, Bill and Greg, I guess I should have used a smiley in that message.
It wasn't my intent to point out the error in spelling, just the redundant
usage. It was meant to be a joke, something along the lines of: Today's
messages brought to you by the word 'non-the-less'.
Although, in my defense, you will probably note from my various posts that
I'm not yet up to speed on ascii smiley usage. I'm getting there though.
:-)
Not a problem. At least you're big enough to apologize and explain yourself.

:o) This is the smiley I use, the cute bear face smiley.

Bill Garber
Greg Goodwin

http://www.fmlynet.org
You
2005-08-01 21:45:10 UTC
Greg:

I know exactly how you feel. I sometimes go days with just that one word
at the forefront of my mind: Huh?

And just like you, I smile when I realize the absolute absurdity of the
whole thing. :)

Cheers,

William
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.8bit